As new parents, you must be waiting for your baby to sit, crawl and walk. Infact, many parents try to capture the first moments of these milestones. But what they do ignore is watching out for yet another important milestone in babies i.e. pincer grasp.
WHAT IS THE MEANING OF PINCER GRASP?
Pincer grasp is a skill where a baby tends to pick up the object with the help of index finger and thumb, just as we adults pick up the smaller objects like a button, cherry or pin.
This pincer grasp is what will help your baby in later life to pick pencil, cutlery and eat food, tie laces , zip and unzip clothes, brush teeth and many other routine activities. It will allow the child to learn to independently perform the activities and explore different objects.
WHAT IS THE AGE AT WHICH PINCER GRASP DEVELOPS?
This milestone is generally achieved by the babies between the age of 8 to 12 months old.
If you are having a baby whose age is in 3 to 6 months old, your angel must be using her whole palm to rake or pick the objects. This phenomenon is called palmer grasp. This motor skill develops with age and by the age of 12 months, your baby would be picking the objects same as we do i.e. by using pincer grasp ,though in a little unstable manner.
PINCER GRASP ACTIVITIES FOR BABIES
Following are several activities you need to indulge your child in to develop this fine motor skill.
- Place certain objects like raisins, boiled peas etc. in front of your child . This will intrigue the baby to use her pincer grasp to pick that food and eat it. Please be careful as the babies often put in their mouth whatever that comes in their hands. So always place soft edible items in front of them that don’t create any choking hazard.
- Encourage your baby to point out things in any book. This will strengthen their index finger.
- Give your child soft balls or play dough that can be squeezed.
- You can also give tissue box to your baby. As she will pull out the tissues, her pincer grip will develop eventually.
- You can also fix a plain paper and let your baby scribble over it with different color crayons. Your baby is surely going to love this activity.
BABY TOYS FOR PINCER GRASP DEVLOPMENT
Following are the toys that will help in developing pincer grip in your child along with links where you can buy them from. Please be sure that before you buy any of the given toys, it suits the age range your baby falls in.
As I always say, every child is unique in her own. So you need to be patient. However, in case your baby is 12 months old or more and your baby doesn’t use her pincer grip , you need to consult your pediatrician to rule out any possibility of cerebral palsy or autism.
Take care of you and your little baby.