Do you know that cow milk is bad for babies if administered before a certain age limit?
Check out the most commonly asked questions and what pediatricians have to say regarding them.
What are the benefits of Cow Milk for Babies?
Following are the minerals that make cow’s milk good for babies-
- Calcium- Develops bones and teeth.
- Vitamin D- Helps in absorption of calcium in body.
- Proteins- Growth and development of body.
- Carbohydrates- Provides energy for daily activities.
What is the right age for introducing cow milk?
Cows milk must be administered to a baby only after she has turned 1 year of age.
Cow Milk is known to contain high amount of proteins and sodium than a newborn baby’s body can handle.
Moreover, it can irritate stomach lining of babies, leading to blood loss. This further can cause anaemia in baby.
Cows milk is also devoid of iron, vitamin c and other nutrients which your infant requires during those first crucial 12 months of her life.
How much milk should my baby drink?
For 1 year old , 2 cups of milk (roughly half litre) of cow milk is sufficient to meet their daily calcium needs.
Anything less than 2 cups means less nutrition.
Anything more than 2 cups will make your baby’s tummy too full to eat other healthy foods.
How to introduce cows milk to babies?
As with other foods, you need to go slow with this too. Increase the cow’s milk gradually , watching out for any allergies for the initial 4 to 5 days. Check here how to introduce new meal to babies.
My baby is not accepting cow milk. Now what?
Some babies don’t like having cows milk because of sudden change in texture and taste from breast milk/formula milk to cow milk. In such case you can try following tricks-
- Try adding flavours to the milk. You can boil dates in the milk to sweeten it and then strain it. You can also add elaichi to give it a good taste.
- Go for colorful cups. Sometimes giving milk in attractive cup is all what your baby requires to drink that super drink.
- Drink your milk in front of your kid. Babies learn from you and if you can show him how much you like the milk, he or she is surely going to copy you.
- You can also try incorporating milk in dishes or porridges made for baby.
- Cheese or curd can also act as good substitutes to milk
Whole milk or Low fat milk?
AAP guidelines clearly states that a toddler requires whole milk to get the fat requirements of the day unless there is a family history or risk for obesity or heart disease. For overweight kids, you need to consult your pediatrician.
Cow milk or buffalo milk?
Read below to know which one of cow and buffalo milk is better.
- Consistency- Cow milk is having thinner consistency which makes it easier to digest.
- Fats – More in buffalo milk which makes it difficult to digest.
- Water content- It is more in cow milk which is good for babies as it keeps them hydrated.
- Calcium- Amount of calcium is more in buffalo milk than cow milk.
- Calorific value – Buffalo milk has more calories than cow milk, making it healthier for your baby.
Cow milk Allergy symptoms
Following are some of the common cow milk allergy symptoms found in babies. Some can experience these immediately after consuming milk, while for others it can take time to show symptoms. Whichever be the case, call your doctor immediately when you notice any abnormality after introducing cow milk to your toddler.
- Swelling of face
- Persistent cough or wheezing
- Red bumps on skin
Hope that your this article is able to resolve your queries regarding this super drink. But in case you have any doubts left, feel free to ask in the comments section below.
Take care of yours and your little baby.